spoon

Recent Recipes

Jalapeno Poppers

0

Category :

It's a beautiful Saturday in Portland OR, and I have finally gotten into the swing of living in a house off campus. Our kitchen is small, but it's mine so I'm not going to complain. I don't have to worry about someone stealing my knives when I leave them in the kitchen. I'm also loving my housemates, so that's good too.
Today, my cooking in crime companion, Eddie, and I decided to throw health to the wind and pull out the deep fryer my mom gave me. This is the first time I've used it since I got it 4 months ago. It just sat in my dorm room ominously staring at me from below my desk.
But we used it and none of us got burnt (too badly, Eddie said he kept feeling it hit his chin).

This recipe is easy and tasty, we used pepper jack cheese instead of the Cheddar found in the original recipe.

Jalapeno Poppers

8 Jalapeno, seeded
3 tbsp cream cheese, softed
3 tbs pepper jack cheese cut into long rectangular sticks the size of each of your Jalapenos
1/2 C milk
1 C crushed panko
1/3 C flour
oil for deep frying

Coring the jalapenos can be a bit of trouble. Using a small knife works really well and don't worry about cutting the sides of the pepper, it doesn't create much of a problem. 
Spoon the cream cheese into the jalapeno and then shove a stick of pepper jack into each jalapeno. Dip the stuffed jalapeno first into milk and then into the flour. Wait for several minutes for the flour dry out slightly. Then, dip it into the milk again and now into the crushed panko. You can repeat the milk & panko step twice to get a nice thicker panko crust. Wait for the coat to dry out slightly between the steps. In a medium pan, heat the oil to 365F and deep fry the jalapeno for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

Total Time: 20 minutes  
(Picture taken by Eddie Barksdale)

0 comments:

Post a Comment